Rowney Green is proud of its rural character and heritage which are reflected within its buildings, its settlement and its landscape.
A Supplementary Planning Guidance Document, adopted by Bromsgrove District Council (BDC) has been made available for all to see. The Document, known as a Village Design Statement, was drawn up by volunteers from within the community for the benefit of the community, the environment and the landscape.
The document, which is hosted on the BDC website, planning portal, refers to the whole parish of Alvechurch, including Alvechurch Village, Withybed Green, Weatheroak, Hopwood, Bordesley and Rowney Green.
Pages 20-23 refer specifically to Rowney Green.
Residents are encouraged to consult the document for guidance when planning building work or landscaping
Connections and partnerships
The RGA is pleased to work closely, or to engage, with the following local organisations:
- Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE), Worcestershire group
- Worcestershire Wildlife Trust, especially in respect of Newbourne Wood nature reserve
- Alvechurch Parish Council
The high ground of Rowney Green was formed by a terminal moraine in the last ice age between 18,000 and 14,000 years ago. The glacier had carried rocks, gravel, sand and clay with it as it drifted along. By the time it reached this area, the atmosphere was sufficiently warm for the ice to melt. The drift material was then deposited onto the underlying Keuper Marl; the stones you see all around you therefore could have broken off rocks hundreds of miles away.
Peck Wood contains a large area of ancient woodland. It has been woodland for about 12,000 years; ever since trees started to grow here after the last ice age. It gives food and shelter to a large variety of wildlife. It is bisected by a very well preserved section of the boundary ditch and bank of Alvechurch Park. It was given to the Methodist Church in 1948 to provide holidays, training and education opportunities for children, young people and the general community. The facilities may be booked.
Newbourne Wood is 11 acres and became the property of Worcestershire Nature Conservation Trust in 1970. It was planted with trees in 1958 after the area had been quarried for gravel. The conifers are being grown on for timber and eventually a deciduous wood will be established.